CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Annie's Baby Shower

One of our best friends is about to have a baby boy. We threw a baby shower for her today and it was great, she got tons of cute stuff. I can't wait until we get to see this new little guy in person! I had a severe laps in judgement last week and decided that I would make a cake for her shower. I looked up different ideas and found a lot of baby-block-cakes that looked super cute. I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to make, so I decided to give it a try. I got up yesterday and started baking, 7 hours later I decided to call it good. (Note to self; just because something is square, does NOT mean it will be easy to frost and decorate!) The end product was not as beautiful as I had hoped, but it was the tastiest cake I've ever eaten. ( I took a break from "no sugar" today, I figured if I spent 7 hours making the cake I at least deserved to eat it)


The blocks on the top spell the new baby's name, Asa.
The next few pictures are to show the destruction in our kitchen. I had to stop and breath a few times, anyone who knows me very well knows that I start to freak out when my kitchen is dirty. I just had to keep telling myself that the kitchen would be clean again, and there was no use trying to cleanup while I was still working on the cake.

Over all I am glad that I tried out something new. I learned how to make homemade fruit filling, and the best whipped cream/cream cheese frosting you will ever taste. Both of these skills are invaluable :)

11 comments:

Karl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Campbells said...

WOW! All I have to say is "you should see my kitchen when I am cooking a big project or meal!!!!" You were incredibly clean in my opinion. The cake turned out really cute by the way!

Janelle said...

Liz - that is way cute! Good job. You never see on the instructions "takes 1.5 days and your last nerve to complete". Now you are experienced and can make Grant a cake shaped like ??? his new game system? Anyway, you're awesome!

Mickelle said...

I CAN'T WAIT TO EAT SOME TOMORROW! (Scott felt it necessary to correct me. Later today, technically.)

Grandma Sue said...

You call that kitchen dirty? You never should have posted this - you are now in charge of cake making at all family gatherings :)

Lani said...

Yeah, making a cake is always more complicated than it sounds.... and messier....
But the cake looks great!
Yum!

Annie and Berkeley said...

The cake was amazing!! I loved it so much! You have no idea how much I appreciated you and Mickelle putting so much time and effort into throwing me a kick-butt baby shower. It was tons of fun and I loved being able to hang out with everyone. I should clean your kitchen. Yep.

dant said...

I need cake.

Cathy and Bob Sampert said...

Despite your feelings that it didn't turn out so great, I think it's awesome! Way impressive! I do hate when you think a project will be pretty quick and it takes WAY longer though! I'm always impressed with cool shaped cakes... maybe I will make something cool for Bob's birthday now that I've seen your cool creation...

KrizteeTrain said...

Um--hello? Give us the frosting recipe!!!

The cake looks great! What are you talking about! I am sure they loved it.

As for a clean kitchen....well...all I can say is I understand and empathize with your position. I'm proud that you have learned the breathing technique :) Can't wait for THANKSGIVING WITH THE CAMPBELLS!!!

Laura said...

I am really impressed! I think that the cake looked great!