Grant's been making fun of me since we moved to Cincinnati that I won't go do anything by myself. This is not completely true, but when given the choice to go out by myself, or wait until Grant can come I will always choose the latter. There's safety in numbers. If one of you forgets their wallet, the other (usually Grant) will have theirs. Problem solved. The same goes for directions- two heads are better than one, and most importantly keys. Well, this week I had been putting off grocery shopping, not that I thought anything too terrible would happen if I ventured to the grocery store by myself, I just enjoy having Grant's company. Last night Grant let me know that he just doesn't like grocery shopping, so he would prefer that I just do it during the day. FINE- I guess I could find a few minutes in my very busy day to go shopping on my own.
Today, I made a list and got ready to go- that means I ate a snack and went pee 3 times in 20 minutes. And I was off, not without a nagging feeling that something was going to go wrong. It was more than my normal paranoia, I KNEW that I was going to loose/forget my keys at some point in the day. I took extra care to keep track of them at all times during my shopping trip, double and triple checking that I had them before I locked our apartment and my car. I thought I had been successful, I got our groceries and made it back to the apartment. I took the first load up the 3 flights of stairs, unlocked our apartment, and dropped everything off. I left my keys on the counter because, I was going to leave the apartment and my car unlocked until I was done unloading. Oh how could I be soooo stupid! I went back downstairs, outside to my car, loaded my arms with as many bags as I could, and turned to head back into to our building. Oh yeah Liz, you live in the real world now with crime rates and stuff, you live in a nice apartment with a buzzer, and door into the building that locks automatically- for your safety of course. DOH!!!
I was locked out of the building! I looked around the parking lot and realized mine was the only car there, decided give it a try anyway and started pushing all of the buzzers in the hopes that someone was home and would let me in. Nope, and my car was full of milk, eggs, ice cream, and popsicles. I had to get to the front office fast! It is normally about a 10-15 minute walk from our building to the office. I knew I didn't have that much time, to walk there and back with the building key would be about 30 minutes. The groceries had already been in the car for 10 minutes, I was going to have to run. Yes I am not that coordinated under normal circumstances, Yes I am 51/2 months pregnant and getting pretty odd shaped, and yes my feet have some of the biggest blisters I've ever gotten because of my refusal to wear real shoes when Grant and I went for a hike/walk this week. SO, I took off waddle jogging through the pain of the blisties and the embarrassment. The ice cream was melting, there wasn't time to slow down. About 30 feet from the office I heard something coming up behind me. It was the maintenance golf cart, and it was BEAUTIFUL! I stopped and flagged him down, and we headed back to the apartment as fast as the golf cart would take us.
The milk and eggs seem to be ok, I'm still waiting to see if the ice cream can be salvaged. Could be worse, but I knew something like this was going to happen.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
I knew something like this was going to happen...
Posted by Liz and Grant at 2:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I hate that. We called our landlord in our old apartment about 800 times to let us in. No exaggeration. We lived in a super safe neighborhood but I would take no chances! NONE! Did you ever find out what you are having???
Oh, Liz! You make me laugh! The things pregnancy brain will do to you! LOL! :) I'm sure your waddle jog was adorable and not embarrassing at all!
Do you have pockets? Sounds like all these HUGE problems could be solved with just one pocket. Then imagine what a free life you could lead. Go places, even on your own, get in a door whenever you wanted, or even buy something with a card anytime you wish.
Love ya,
da
Mom and I are at my house making jam today. I read your blog out loud to her and we both were cracking up the whole time. Thanks for the laughs. All we have to say is that you are great and we love you!
(and Mom says that the jam is NOT for Grant! :)
Ha ha! that was a great story! Loved it!
Love nik
What you SHOULD have done was eaten all of the ice cream and popsicles before they melted. Hank would have appreciated that. You are thinking for two now Liz :D
Getting locked out really stinks. Sorry. I locked myself out of my car and apartment with Lily the coldest day of the winter last winter. I am now paranoid that I have my keys and double check before I lock and shut any door.
Grrr!! I feel your pain! I hate it when dumb stuff like that happens. Good luck on your future outings without Grant.
WHAT a day! Hey, when will you find out the gender already?!?
i'm with nathanel, that was my first thought, you eat what was going to melt. of course the eggs would have been lost. but it would have been worht it.
Post a Comment