CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Begining

I spent much of my early teen years daydreaming about what my life would be when I grew up. There were so many things to speculate about, and entertaining all the possibilities was just too fun not to. Where would I go to college, what would I get my degree in, where would I end up living, what kind of car would I drive, what color carpet would go in my mansion, how many children would I have and what would their names be, and most importantly who was that amazing guy that would get to come along for the ride with me. There were a few things that I didn't need to speculate on. Mr Amazing would be tall, dark, and ridiculously good looking, his smile would be more dazzling than the sun at 12 oclock noon, he would be the most fasionable straight man you'd ever meet, and he would also be independenlty wealthy and enjoy showreing me with lavish gifts. And maybe he should be funny, and good with kids, cause someone was going to need to take care of all those children living in my mansion with forest green carpet. WELL 14 year old Liz, I have seen the future, and it's kind of awesome.
Believe it or not Mr amazing would show up in Rathdrum Idaho on a cold day in November, however you didn't quite realize that he was the  one and only "Mr Amazing" of your teen daydreams right away. In fact your first impression would be "meh, he's kinda boring. I guess he's ok for Suz."
November 2004 I found myself moving back home to my parents. I had moved to California to go to school and get a fresh start two days after I graduated high school, and it only took me 5 months to have a nervous breakdown and run home to Mom and Dad. I had a little money in savings, but no one was hiring in our tourist town during the off season so I decided that I would spend my days sitting in the Coffee stand that my friend Suzy worked at and keep her company.  Obviously a great use of the abundance of time I had on my hands. Boys, boys, boys, our lives revolved around BOYS. Who was dating who in our small singles branch, who was cute, who was trouble. I was new to the singles branch, and didn't know who any of these people were that Suzy would give me the info on, but all of that changed one day when she mentioned a certain boy. He was her brother's best friend, and he had just come home from his mission. She was maybe interested in him (Suzy was maybe interested in everyone) but thought he was maybe a flirt. The gossip went, that he had totally been putting the moves on her and now she needed to decide if she liked him.
Well, this boy was a sucker for free  hot chocolate, so Suzy decided one day while we sat in the 6x8 coffee stand that she would lure him in with a free hot chocolate, and then I could meet him and give her my opinion on this boy.
Her plan worked and Grant showed up with in the hour to claim his free hot chocolate.  I was left alone with him off and on for the next 30min while Suzy worked on closing up the coffee stand, and tried my best to keep the conversation going, but talking was not this guy's greatest strength. Suzy finished closing up and informed us that a group was getting together to hang out and play tag at the grave yard (seriously the things Mormons come up with to kill time). I could not wait to get out of there, and away from that painfully awkward conversation, so off I headed to hang out with the group. This Grant kid would be ok for Suzy, he wasn't offensive or anything, but he also had absolutely zero personality- I could easily pass on this one...
 The night continued with some tag in the graveyard, and getting to meet a few more people. Someone came up with the genius idea of switching from tag to "sardines". There would be a race to a tree in the middle of the cemetery, and whoever the last two to the tree were, would be "it" and hide together. I was new to the group and had no desire to spend another awkward 30 minutes trying to make conversation with someone I didn't know. I was not going to be the last one to that tree. I took off running as fast as I could, but forgot that I am the slowest runner you'll ever meet. My sprints look like a casual jog. I wasn't last though, just second to last. I tagged the tree just in time to turn around and see Grant, the most boring boy in the world, easily galloping up to the tree. He was last. I would have to hide with him. Awesome.
  Off we headed and then, "well, Lindsey, where do you want to hide?" Seriously, he's calling me the wrong name?!? I weighed my options and decided that I couldn't bear the awkwardness of correcting him on top of everything else. Why bother, I was never going to hang out with this guy again.


0 comments: