Today was one of those days. By the time 5:00 rolled around and Grant came home, I had officially been declared a grump-butt. So Grant took Hallie to the store and I got a much needed half-hour to go to the bathroom by myself, and then sit and waste time on facebook. When Hallie and Grant returned he sent her into the family room with these Tulips (my favorite), coaching her to say "happy grump-butt day Mamma".
I love being a Mom. I honestly feel that the first year of Hallie's life I had a relatively easy time dealing with the changes that first time parenthood brought into my life, but I will say the past 2-3 months have been hard. I feel as though I have hit the wall. When I talk with friends it always seems that they had a hard time with the first year. The first baby turns their life upside down, and they beg for the assurance that it gets better. I would always try to be sympathetic to these people, but really never understood what they were talking about or where they were coming from. I loved the first year, my biggest worry was how quickly the time was passing. The first 4 months of Hallie's life I would have been completely content to never leave my house and just sit inside and snuggle my sweet baby. People began to think I was depressed because I never wanted to go out or have people over, but really it was the exact opposite. I was the happiest I'd ever been in my whole life. I wanted to spend every second soaking it all up, the two people I loved most in the world, Grant and Hallie. I didn't want to share them, or our time with anyone else. I actually hated it when people would ask to hold Hallie because I felt like I was loosing the precious little time I had with her as a new baby, she was just going to grow up too fast. Well I was right, the first year did go by way too fast, and now all of the sudden I feel like I am really struggling with day-to-day motherhood. I spend my days with the cutest tyrant in the whole world. She rules our home with an iron fist. What Hallie wants, Hallie gets- and if I try to hold out and set limits she screams, and shrieks, and and stomps her feet, all while signing "more" which she seems to think means "I want it". The past three months have been a blur of sickness, temper-tantrums, and teething. In January she started waking up between 5:30 am and 6:30 am every morning so we decided it must be time for her to go down to one nap a day. Before she would sleep for 1 1/2 hours in the morning , and then 2 hours in the afternoon. Now she is sleeping 45 min-1 1/2 hours total for the whole day. She is grumpy all afternoon because she didn't sleep long enough, but when we try to put her back in her crib to sleep she just screams (this is coming from a mom who is a big advocate of making your kids cry-it-out), to the point that I feel hopeless that her crying will ever turn into a longer nap. She is a very strong willed kid. Our afternoons seem endless as she wakes-up with 4 hours left before Grant comes home each night. Have you ever tried entertaining a grumpy 15 month old for 4 hours? We try to get out and play with friends as often as possible, but it has been hard as Hallie's nap schedule doesn't line up with friends whose kids all seem take normal naps. I thought I was used to going with the flow, I thought I understood that once you got one stage figured out it would change and you'd be on to something new. I have never felt so overwhelmed at the beginning of each day, hoping that somehow this will be the day that we figure it all out, her nap works, and she wakes up the happy nice girl that we know she can be. In the mean time I will try to keep the grump-butt days to a minimum, and pray that I figure out the secret to "wrangling" this girl, sooner than later. I really do love being a Mom, some times are just harder than others. Someday I'll have a clean house and get to take a shower or use the bathroom by myself, until then I'll I'll try to start savoring this time with Hallie like I did her first year. I'm sure I will blink and this time will be over - good and bad.
I'm done venting now.
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Happy Grump-Butt Day
Posted by Liz and Grant at 8:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That was really, really cute with the flowers! Good job Grant :0).
I think those are emotions that every mother has or will experience at some time or another. I promise, you are not alone, and that stage of life goes by quickly as well.
One trick I found with Emi was putting her in front of the Wiggles. I got my 30 minutes I needed to fix dinner with that video. My lifesaver!!!
Liz,
I was the SAME way! Even when Cody was a baby, after 3 minutes of someone holding him I wanted to snatch him back. Then he turned 1. Day by day I felt like I despised him more and more. It broke my heart calling him things like "my little monster" or "brat face" but my goodness he would drive me insane!!! Church was THE WORST. I pretty much let Kevin be in charge of him on Sundays or I would kill. And remember during all this I was pregnant, so I wasn't the nicest either. It doesn't really go away but once they can start talking a little bit more, it gets easier. Or if they start watching tv (best day of my dang life) then you get little breaks. Cody never napped twice a day, just one long one from 1-4 pm. Hope that helped or at least made you feel better.
Best post title ever. That is too cute with the flowers. You've got a sweet hubby and baby! Hope you and Hallie find a solution that works for both of you and can move on to a happier phase, and can have less grump-butt days :)
After hearing about your post at the Y today, I had to come and read it. It seems like every stage of motherhood(that I have experienced thus far)has good and bad to it and it seems just when I am getting one thing figured out, something else comes up that is equally as frustrating! Sure makes me appreciate my mom more. You should come over and hang out with me in the afternoons if Hallie wakes up early. We are generally home in the afternoons and Sophie rarely takes a nap, so she can entertain Hallie while we chat. How about tomorrow?
I think I will have to incorporate the phrase "grump-butt day" into our vernacular! Love it! I can relate to your feelings SO strongly, we're still trying to figure out what "phase" we're in. But I must say that often when Elijah wasn't sleeping well we found that putting him to bed EARLIER than his typical bed time seemed to help him sleep better... kind of counter-intuitive, but it seemed to work for us (AND I'm all about ANYTHING to get more nap time and sleep time and a less grumpy kid!) Isn't it great that our children are absolutely darling? I think Heavenly Father knew on those grump=butt days that we at least needed them to be cute. Hallie sure is!
It's a phase that will get better. Asa has gone through phases like that multiple times...crappy naps/ornery afternoons/tantrums/EARLY mornings...and then it gets way better and easier for a good while and then it repeats itself. Hang in there! It will get easier again soon...and then harder...and then easier....
You are an awesome mom! I miss you. Are you coming to see me the week I have this baby?! I would love it!
Post a Comment